One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way. English is an International Language. Its knowledge will definitely boost the confidence in you or your child.
English is a vibrant and international language with twenty percent of the world’s population speaking English as native, second or foreign language. In addition to its status as a mother tongue in many countries, global use of English is growing for communication among speakers of other languages in places where English is not the majority language. Non-native speakers (950 million) outnumber native speakers (430 million) by more than two to one.
In the last few decades, there has been a growing interest in the development of English as an international language (EIL). About one hundred years ago many educated people learned and spoke French when they met people from other countries. Today most people speak English when they meet foreigners. It has become the new international language. EIL implies a new way of communication across different nationalities and cultures through the medium of a common language. The emergence of EIL and World English is undoubtedly linked to the phenomenon of globalization.
There are many reasons why English has become so popular. One of them is that English has become the language of business. Another important reason is that popular American culture (like movies, music, and McDonald’s) has quickly spread throughout the world. It has brought its language with it.
Is it good that English has spread to all parts of the world so quickly? Well, I don’t know. It will be unfair to be judgemental but what is important here is that the people of the earth have one language in common. Our world has become very global and we need to communicate with one another.
There are more people who speak English as a second language than people who speak English as a first language. Why is this?
Why do you personally feel the need to learn English?
I will tell you why….
- We want to learn English to be able to COMMUNICATE with millions of people around the world.
- English is the official language in 53 countries.
- Travel becomes easy if you know English. It becomes fun in fact.
- English has become the ‘lingua franca’, meaning – working language in many parts of the world.
- Knowing English also gives you better career opportunities. Working in multi-national demands that one should know English well.
- Entertainment – Why do I say that you get entertained better if you know English? This is because of the larger options of movies and various series being available in English language.
- It undoubtedly boosts self- confidence and develops your personality.
- Using internet becomes easy if you know English. And I feel, this itself is a big motivator for you to make you keen on learning this universal language.
As interest in English as a second language grows around the world, there are various institutions engaged in a wide range of activities in and for other countries, including assessment and curriculum development, teacher professional development and training, evaluation, and other program services. There are ‘n’ numbers of options to choose from. The learner must be able to gather all the interest and energy to learn this new language which is literally not so new to us because we all start leaning A B C’s at a very young age even before we learn our other tongue.
Knowing English these days has become no less than fashion. People do not relate it to the knowledge about a language; rather they use it as a medium to show off how well they can speak a foreign language. As an English Mentor, I do support the fact that knowing English enhances your personality, boosts up your confidence, makes you fit for the competition worldwide, but I feel it is equally important to learn the language with all our heart and mind, only then will LEARNING BE FUN.
The language we use influences the way we think. Good English well spoken and written will open more doors. So, lets learn English in its true meaning, in a fun-filled way !